Wednesday, December 1, 2010

This blog is devoted to my thoughts, currently being focused on my religious beliefs.

To whom it may interest, but also directed to clear up many common misconceptions that the reason I am no longer LDS and not serving a mission is because it's the easy way out and I want to “party” or some other ridiculous answer to why I would leave the “true” church. Please stop classifying me with what many believe is the common crowd, I am not just a punk or ignorant young adult that makes decisions based on nothing.
On too many occasions I have tried to truthfully and openly explain what I personally believe to be the true path to heaven. Often times I only get through a couple sentences before it erupts into a heated debate, which ends up going nowhere. I understand that no one, myself included, likes to hear beliefs that contradict with their own, especially on the complex and touchy subject, religion. I constantly strive to keep an open mind while listening to others perceptions; I deserve the same respect. When people preach to me what I should believe, isn't it only fair that I get the opportunity to share my beliefs before so they can understand what I believe and work from there? Instead of being cut off by an argument before I get through one point. The only way I can perceive an actual discussion taking place is to write down my beliefs so others can understand why I believe the way I do.  I believe if I don't accomplish stating my opinion soon and clearly, i'll soon be choking on religious garbage being forced down my throat.

3 comments:

  1. devin,
    I'm so glad you are doing this. I think you are a lot like me. I hate talking about religion, because it always turn into an argument that I would just much rather not even have. I believe what you believe. I think that we are here to be happy and do what makes us happy. I think that you can go to heaven if at the end of your life you were happy/loved/kind/honest. I don't think its measured on how many times you went to church or didn't eat to show your devotion. I hope that you are much more happy now that you are not forced to be something you don't want to be. I think that is the biggest problem with religions, its too forced and no one is true to themselves. They lie and cheat around it which defeats the purpose of the religion. If you look at the big picture only a few people are true to their religion and that to me is not right.
    I'm so glad that you feel this way with me and I'm happy that you are voicing your opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devin, like I said you are way brave to post this. I agree with what Carolyn said! I hope that one day people will respect everyone and stop judging them based on what religion they are. "If you judge someone, you have no time to love them"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Carolyn! I'm happy to know we have similar views and beliefs. Katelyn, apparently I am brave to post this because of certain responses I have been receiving. I love the quote!

    ReplyDelete